So, you have got your social media game on point but working with an agency just does not do it for you anymore. It is time to take the first step into the formidable world of freelancing. How do you make it big without losing your sanity?
1. Here’s the good news: every business needs a concrete digital strategy so the world is your oyster! However, the endless choice available to freelancers can be overwhelming. If you are working solo, choose a niche – fashion, information technology, lifestyle, business, hospitality – and stick to it. This will become your biggest USP.
2. The easiest way to make a smooth transition into freelancing is to finalize the scope of your work in line with your strengths and weaknesses. Save yourself the confusion by narrowing down the list of services you can offer and the mediums you are willing to work with. Do not stray from these verticals until you have established a firm foothold in this crazy, crazy world.
3. Having arrived at the scope of your services, find out how much other freelancers are charging for the same and draw up your rate card. I have realized that clients who haggle are the same ones you have to chase down for payment at the end of the month – they are not worth the time or effort. Remember, you do not have to be the cheapest, but you have to be worth the buck your charge.
4. Educate yourself on the basics of Hootsuite, Latergram, WordPress and Photoshop. Strategy must be your forte, but clients want to know that you have the ability to execute, too. You will thank me later.
5. While you are busy helping others build their brands, pay keen attention to yours as well! It is critical that you apply your freelance skills to your personal brand. Create a simple website to showcase your projects, keep abreast with industry trends, share relevant content on social media, network with the movers and shakers of the industry – in a nutshell, practise what you preach.
Above all, remember the gospel truth: you are an indispensable resource and not a sales pitch. Focus on adding value to every brand you work with and watch the moolah flow in!